The Women for Women stream projects have been going from strength to strength.
Women for Women is a project set up by women for women.
We want to empower women to design and deliver improvements to their lives, to make them happy, in a way that works best for them.
Our Aims are to:
- Create the opportunity for women to connect with other women within a safe environment to talk about hopes, wishes and concerns. Moreover, working together to find ways to make improvements to the lives of women involved.
- Offer female-centred support and guidance for female asylum seekers, refugees and other vulnerable women arriving in Southampton.
- Improve access for these women to the activities and services that already exist in the city for women.
Currently there are sewing classes and health groups available to any women who would like to attend.
- Morning Sewing club – 10am-12pm at the Third Age Centre. It is a free session but there is a nominal fee of 50p suggested. All of the equipment and materials are provided as well as refreshments as well as a creche for those who have children. It is a friendly and warm space for women to meet new people and to learn a skill. See link for a poster. Every Monday morning.
- Evening Sewing Classes– These classes are Monday evenings from 6pm – 8pm. In these classes you will learn the basics in sewing and make things such as pillow cases and tote bags. Each session is £6. See link for a poster
- Health Group– The health group have been up and running for a year in April 2017. They meet once a fortnight on a Wednesday, from 10:30am til 12:30pm. The group has become a trusting, informal atmosphere where women of all background, culture, age and race can come together and discuss a range of women’s health topic and ask any questions throughout. At every session, we are helped by women with expert knowledge, but we would like to stress that this is not a drop-in clinic but rather more of a self-help group in which women can share knowledge and learn from each other. There is also the opportunity to talk privately to the retired doctors who join us at every session.
Please see the poster for our next health group!For more information, or to get involved with this group please contact Sheiris Vaval – [email protected] / 02380 711 700
If you would like to find out more information about how the national City of Sanctuary organisation are helping women, visit their webpage here.
To get involved with the Southampton Women For Women project, please contact Sheiris Vaval at [email protected].